Goths, I love 'em! I even used to be one for a bit (well, I was a Didi-Goth for at least 6 months). But there's one thing that troubles me about our cheery friends: what to do they do in summer? All that makeup, long black leather and rubber must get very sticky. I think we should show our respect for these poor unfortunates, struggling to stand out from the vanilla crowd despite blazing temperatures and sunshine that puts the rest of us in shorts and vest tops. Join me in celebrating the majesty of the Goth, who, eschewing any practicality whatever, still has the commitment to don a full length leather trenchcoat, stupid New Rock boots, and half a Superdrug counter of makeup. All hail the Hot Goth!


Tails of Woe

Thanks to Stuart Graves

Gothiness: 7 Sweatiness: 8
Where to begin with young Stuart here: Robert Smith meets Ducky from Pretty in Pink - we've all been there, Stuart - it's just that most of us realised our error before getting photographed. Well done for braving a fine Summer evening in those winkle-pickers though, I'm sure no-one at the end of term ball would fuck with you in those bad boys, for fear of your sweaty socks alone!

10 comments:

Jeremy said...

I see a little Brian Setzer Ebb in there, too.

Just remember Stuart, boys don't cry.

The Stool Pigeon said...

That's exactly the type of boy I would have fallen in angsty unrequited crush with, back in the day.

Diane said...

i heart this blog!

Stuart said...

Ahh thankyou :-)

Stuart

Miranda said...

I second that Stool Pigeon!!

gnomethang said...

Bless!

The Impressive Clergyman said...

I am also assuming young Stuart couldn't afford a Gothbelt, as he appears to be holding his trousers up to spare us the sight of his Goth scanties. Very considerate.

Anonymous said...

I did fall for this goth boy back in the day!!!

Ice-9 said...

I like turtles.

Anonymous said...

Alan Wilder circa 1986 perhaps???

Creative Commons License Goths in Hot Weather by Tom Lenham is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-No Derivative Works 2.0 UK: England & Wales License. Based on a work at http://www.gothsinhotweather.com/. All other territories © Tom Lenham, all rights reserved.